Wednesday, January 15, 2014

First Contest of the Year!!!

Last night, after writing on this blog, I went about trolling around the internet looking for writing contests. A little before midnight I found the perfect one! It was an essay contest that just wanted submissions from a Northwest perspective. I grew up in the Seattle area, so I figured I had hit gold. There was no submission fee, which was a huge bonus, and I immediately had ideas coming into my head what I wanted to write about. It has only been about a month since my essay class finished so i suppose I am just still in that mode.

The one problem - it had to be post marked today! It took me about five hours to go through the first two drafts of my 2000 word essay. At which point I was so tired that I was not completely sure it all made sense in the real world, so I got a few hours of sleep. I set my alarm for 8am, got up at 10am, and headed straight to the PSU library to do a final edit and print (it had to be sent regular mail).

I was SO glad that I did that final edit. I ended up going through another two drafts before deciding that it was the best I was going to do in the time that I had. I am actually very proud of it, and have high hopes for it. There were probably thousands of submissions, so I won't be too surprised if I do not win - but I won't be all that surprised if I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment